It’s no secret that to make a decent living, most of us have to work for it. A full time employee works at least 36-40 hours per week and many of us work even more these days to pay mortgages, healthcare, childcare, and still be able to put something aside for vacations, rainy days, or any unforeseen expenses.
With so much time spent in the workplace environment, what can we do to stay happy and healthy during those long days?
Here are 5 tips for Staying Healthy at Work
- Stay Hydrated. This may seem like an obvious or trivial suggestion, but never underestimate the importance of drinking enough water during your day. Water is necessary for the body to function at it’s best, including being able to focus, process thought efficiently, and maintain energy levels. It is not solely important for those who perform physical labor. This can also entail limiting caffeine intake, as much as we love our productivity inducing beverages. Coffee, sugars, energy drinks, you name it, all can actually dehydrate your body at a quicker rate. Keep a water bottle handy and refill it often.
- Cleanliness is Key. Another factor we can easily take for granted is how hygienic we are throughout our work day. We often interact with many different people throughout the day as well as touch plenty of surfaces, including business furniture like desks and chairs, or even the stapler from the neighboring department. Wash hands frequently, especially after a restroom visit. Keep your work space clean as much more bacteria may be harbored in your work space than you may think. Keep hand sanitizer at the ready so you don’t spend your day at the bathroom sink.
- Plan Your Meals. Just like drinking water, what we eat is a huge factor in staying healthy and producing positive energy. Eat light and eat healthy snacks throughout the day instead of eating one big meal. Pre-pack foods from home to save on expenses as well as ensure that you are eating a balance of lean proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables or salads. You will feel much better and stay energized for much longer than you would from that convenient fast-food meal or third coffee.
- Get Fresh Air and Sunlight. Sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves is just get outside for a few minutes. Take a quick break and take a short walk outside. The movement, fresh air, and sunlight will help you feel refreshed and reinvigorated. Even if you are extremely busy, taking a little bit of time to just get out of the office and into the outdoors may be all you need to finish the day strong.
- Stress Management. We all feel stress and with increasing living costs and competitive workplace environments, each of us feel our fair share. Managing stress is an important skill we all need, whether it be spending time with family and friends, getting the massage you’ve wanted, or spending the day in reading, we all need to take time for ourselves in order to give our time to work and responsibilities.
More than ever are we all on the go almost constantly, but staying happy and healthy should be part of our lives. It is the little things we often overlook that amount to the biggest differences in the long term. Implement these suggestions into your daily work life and you will feel much better at the end of the week when you can spend time doing the things you enjoy most.